Resources for Waste Haulers
As of January 1, 2016, all Waste Haulers and their Vehicles shall be licensed annually and have an authorized identification decal affixed to any Vehicle used for hauling Solid Waste, in accordance with the terms of the Kent County Solid Waste Ordinance. The purpose of this Ordinance is to protect and promote public health, safety, and welfare of Kent County residents, reduce the volume of waste sent to landfills, and overall preserve and improve the environment through proper waste and landfill management.
The 2024 application will be available starting July 30, 2023. All vehicles shall display 2024 decals by October 1, 2023.
Business, Residential Trash & Recycling Services
Kent County Department of Public Works operates the processing facilities for waste and recycling. Pick-up or collection services are not provided by the County for recycling and trash from residences or businesses.
- City of Grand Rapids Residents — Contact the City of Grand Rapids at 616-456-3232 or via their Department of Public Works website.
- Non-City of Grand Rapids Residents — Contact a private waste hauler or the waste hauler you have hired for your services.
Waste Hauler License Application
Once you’ve determined if you need a Waste Hauler License, please have the follow ready to complete the online application:
- Application fee is $30.00 and $5.00 per decal.
- Acceptable forms of online payment: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, & Diner
- A copy of your Certificate of Liability Insurance, minimum requirements:
|Kent County Solid Waste Ordinance, 6.3 Insurance Definition:
A person that is licensed to haul Solid Waste pursuant to this Ordinance shall maintain at least the following types and amounts of insurance coverage and shall maintain all other insurance policies required by state and federal law:
|Commercial General Liability:||$1,000,000 per occurrence/$2,000,000 aggregate|
|Motor Vehicle Liability:||Statutory No-Fault Coverage
$1,000,000 per occurrence combined single limit for bodily injury and property damage
|Employer’s Liability:||$100,000 per occurrence|
- Questions regarding Licensing: contact Chelsea Goodrich at Chelsea.Goodrich@KentCountyMI.gov or 616-632-7928
Emergency Closure Notice
Questions regarding the notification procedure? Contact Alisha Barber at 616-632-7921 or Alisha.Barber@KentCountyMI.gov
Receipt & Invoice Issues
Contact Neisha Lane at 616-632-7929 or Neisha.Lane@KentCountyMI.gov
Available Payment Options & Credit Account Info
Waste delivery payment options: Cash, Check, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, and Diner
Questions regarding the credit application procedure? Contact Becky Dyer at 616-632-7926 or Becky.Dyer@KentCountyMI.gov
Facility Rules & Regulations
Landfill Prohibited Materials, Special Waste, and Obtaining a Manifest for Disposal
- Contact Adam Canute for questions on special wastes and/or further direction on obtaining a manifest for disposal at 616-632-7917 or Adam.Canute@KentCountyMI.gov
Special Burns at Waste to Energy Facility (incinerator)
Hauler Reporting Forms
Questions? Contact Becky Dyer at 616-632-7926 or Becky.Dyer@KentCountyMI.gov