NOTICE 4/5/2024 @ 7:30am:  North Kent Waste & Recycling Center is in the final stretch of its expansion construction. Our recycling drop-off stations at this site have been temporarily moved — click here for the details. Stay tuned here on our website or our social media for updates!

Resources for Waste Haulers

As of January 1, 2016, all Waste Haulers and their Vehicles shall be licensed annually and have an authorized identification decal affixed to any Vehicle used for hauling Solid Waste, in accordance with the terms of the Kent County Solid Waste Ordinance. The purpose of this Ordinance is to protect and promote public health, safety, and welfare of Kent County residents, reduce the volume of waste sent to landfills, and overall preserve and improve the environment through proper waste and landfill management.

Business, Residential Trash & Recycling Services

Kent County Department of Public Works operates the processing facilities for waste and recycling. Pick-up or collection services are not provided by the County for recycling and trash from residences or businesses.

  • City of Grand Rapids Residents — Contact the City of Grand Rapids at 616-456-3232 or via their Department of Public Works website.
  • Non-City of Grand Rapids Residents — Contact a private waste hauler or the waste hauler you have hired for your services.
Waste Hauler License Application

“How do I know if I need a Waste Hauler License?”

Once you’ve determined if you need a Waste Hauler License, please have the follow ready to complete the online application:

  • Application fee is $30.00 and $5.00 per decal.
    • Acceptable forms of online payment: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, & Diner
  • A copy of your Certificate of Liability Insurance, minimum requirements:
Kent County Solid Waste Ordinance, 6.3 Insurance Definition:
A person that is licensed to haul Solid Waste pursuant to this Ordinance shall maintain at least the following types and amounts of insurance coverage and shall maintain all other insurance policies required by state and federal law:
Commercial General Liability: $1,000,000 per occurrence/$2,000,000 aggregate
Motor Vehicle Liability: Statutory No-Fault Coverage
$1,000,000 per occurrence combined single limit for bodily injury and property damage
Worker’s Compensation: Statutory
Employer’s Liability: $100,000 per occurrence

Decal Placement Instructions(pdf)Online Hauler Application

Printable Waste Hauler License Application(pdf)

Emergency Closure Notice

Want notifications of emergency closures at our facilities? Complete the Emergency Closure Contact Application and email it to June Behrendt ( Closure Application(pdf)

Questions regarding the notification procedure? Contact June Behrendt at 616-632-7921 or 

Receipt & Invoice Issues

Contact Chelsea Goodrich at 616-632-7928 or

Available Payment Options & Credit Account Info

Waste delivery payment options: Cash, Check, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, and Diner

Complete the Credit Application and email it to Neisha Lane (
Credit Applications (pdf)

Questions regarding the credit application procedure? Contact Neisha Lane at 616-632-7930 or

Facility Rules & Regulations
Landfill Prohibited Materials, Special Waste, and Obtaining a Manifest for Disposal

Landfill Prohibited Materials/Items & Special Wastes

Special Waste Characterization Form(pdf)

  • Contact Adam Canute for questions on special wastes and/or further direction on obtaining a manifest for disposal at 616-632-7917 or
Special Burns at Waste to Energy Facility (incinerator)

To request a Special Burn appointment, click here.
(Special burns are done only upon pre-authorization and scheduled appointment only)

Special Burn questions? Contact Julian Anthony at 616-481-8738 or