Separate • Out • Organics • Recyclables • Trash
Need help S.O.R.T.ing in your office, business, school, place of worship, or at an upcoming special event?
We can help! The goal of S.O.R.T. is help residents successfully divert resources away from the landfill by placing materials into the right bin. But there can be a lot of confusion as to which bin your stuff should go in right? That’s where S.O.R.T. comes in with customized signage, straight-forward bin wraps, and education!
By choosing to divert materials through recycling, deposit returnables, or composting, you are helping to reduce landfilled waste and ultimately bringing us one step closer to reaching our goal of reducing landfill waste by 20% by 2020 and 90% by 2030. We know that with your continued help we can get there — Check out how to get started S.O.R.T.ing below!
S.O.R.T. Bin Signs & Wraps
- Perfect for a place in need of long-term waste diversion solutions — recycling, composting, returnables, and more!
- We offer a sign-maker tool as well as vinyl wraps to place directly on your waste stream bins.
Rental S.O.R.T. Event Bins
- $10/refundable deposit per bin
- Perfect for a special, one-time or short-term event, like a festival, carnival, or open house!
- Easy-to-use, portable bins make recycling, composting, and collecting returnables at your event a breeze.
- Currently unavailable — we are revamping our rental bin program and brainstorming options to best serve you! Our rental S.O.R.T. program will return as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Resources for S.O.R.T. Participants
You don't offer permanent bins, only signs...where can I find bins/where can I get the ones in your pictures?
Most recycle bins, compost containers, or carts can be found via a simple online search, or in person at hardware stores or big box stores.
The 1-2-or 3 tiered bin systems pictured in our photos are sold by RecycleBoxBin, a local Grand Rapids company. While our vinyl wraps and bin-top signs have been designed to fit the dimensions of these bin systems, we can customize the signs of the wraps to fit whatever bins or containers you desire.
Why do I have to bring the recyclables back to the recycling center when using the Rental S.O.R.T. bins...can't I just dump them in our recycling dumpster for collection?
When using our rental S.O.R.T. bins for your event, part of the rental agreement is bring all recyclables collected during your festival, open house, or event back to the Recycling Center (977 Wealthy St. SW Grand Rapids, MI).
Because not all waste haulers (the company that collects your recycling) deliver recyclables to Kent County Recycling Center for sorting and processing, this ensures that the recyclables collected during your event are truly recycled.