What’s happening at the Department of Public Works?
Kent County Department of Public Works (DPW) is reminding people that propane tanks should not be placed in trash or recycling carts once empty. The arrival of summer marks the start of grilling and camping season when people will be using small, portable propane...
Schools out! Extra time at home = more opportunity to get into things! If you have little kids or big kids at home this summer, now is a good time to make sure your home is kid friendly and safe. Here’s the run down of Healthy Home Safety Tips! Tip #1: Accidents...
What time is it? SUMMER TIME! School's out and you may be looking for some fun activities to do with your kids. Come to our IMAGINE CRAFT Days at the Recycling and Education Center every Monday afternoon during the summer! The fun doesn't end there, though. We host...
All Kent County DPW facilities and programs will be closed on Monday, May 28, in observance of Memorial Day.
Twenty-eight schools across Kent County have been awarded with Michigan Green School certification in anticipation of Earth Day, celebrated April 22nd each year. The schools participated in activities to learn about environmental topics, act on what they learned by...
Department Press Releases
- June 21, 2018 – Safe Propane Tank Disposal Important for Worker Safety
- April 19, 2018 – Kent County Schools Go Green for Earth Day
- March 23, 2018 – Test Results Near North Kent Landfill
- March 5, 2018 – Kent County Request for Information for Sustainable Business Park tenants
- January 29, 2018 – North Kent Landfill water testing notice
- December 17, 2017 – Recycling Center to Reopen After Equipment Upgrades to Accept Cartons, Increase Efficiency
- November 20, 2017 – Recycling Center Undergoing Upgrades to Accept Cartons, Increase Efficiency
- October 13, 2017 – Kent County Facility at Risk of Losing Critical Revenue from Sale of Electricity
- August 4, 2017 – Kent County DPW Expands Methane Collection System in Kentwood
- June 22, 2017 – Propane Tanks Cause Small Explosion at Recycling Center in Grand Rapids
- January 3, 2017 – Kent County DPW Receives Plans on Methane Gas Migration
Sustainable Business Park News
- 23 respond to Kent County's call for 'sustainable' garbage proposals (MLive)
- Firms probe Kent County on request for garbage-fueled innovations (MLive)
- Kent County releases RFI for Sustainable Business Park (MiBiz)
- Turning trash into money is going to take a community effort (Rapid Growth Media)
- County eyes 90 percent waste reduction (Grand Rapids Business Journal)
- West Michigan’s construction industry grapples with diverting waste from landfills (MiBiz)
- KCDPW: Sustainable Business Park at Byron Center Landfill Could Be 'Long Term Solution' (WGVU)
- Sustainable Business Park Planned in Shadow of Kent County Landfill (Reclamation Administration)
- Kent County Public Works Staff to Meet with Community About Plan to Reduce Waste (Michigan Radio)
- Sustainable Business Park Planned in Shadow of Kent County Landfill (MLive)
- GBB to Develop Master Plan for Kent County, Mich’s Resource Park
Recently Added Documents
- North Kent Landfill – Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances – FAQ
- North Kent Landfill – PFAS information – FAQ
- North Kent Landfill – PFAS Well Testing Area
- Kentwood Landfill Letter to Residents – System Operational (December 2017)
- Kentwood Landfill Methane Collection System Expansion (December 2017)
- Kentwood Landfill Letter to Residents Regarding Methane (August 2017)
- Kentwood Landfill Methane Collection System Expansion (August 2017)
- MLive Coverage: Efforts underway to capture explosive gas found seeping from Kentwood Landfill
- Director Darwin Baas explains the current status of remediation efforts at Kentwood Landfill on WKTV
- Methane and Your Health
- Kentwood Landfill Aerial Diagram
- Media Release Regarding Kentwood Landfill Methane
- Kentwood Landfill History
- Kentwood Landfill Letter to Residents Regarding Methane