What’s happening at the Department of Public Works?
The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) requested that the Kent County Department of Public Works (DPW) evaluate and test groundwater from up to 46 properties along Belmont Avenue and Montana Trail to the west, and along House Street, House Court,...
Kettle Lake Elementary is well-practiced and knowledgeable when it comes to the world of recycling. As the first weeks of Kent County’s Annual Earth Day Challenge get underway, we decided to find out more about the students at Kettle Lake and why they think...
The Kent County Department of Public Works is pleased to announce it has issued a Request For Information (RFI) for potential future tenants and complementary technologies for the Sustainable Business Park planned on 200 acres adjacent to the South Kent Landfill in...
All Kent County DPW facilities and programs are operating normally today. Wishing you a Happy Presidents' Day!
The Kent County Department of Public Works (DPW) began discussions with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) in November regarding tannery waste disposed at the North Kent (Ten Mile) Landfill in the 1980’s. Disposal of tannery waste at the...
Department Press Releases
- March 23, 2018 – Test Results Near North Kent Landfill
- March 5, 2018 – Kent County Request for Information for Sustainable Business Park tenants
- January 29, 2018 – North Kent Landfill water testing notice
- December 17, 2017 – Recycling Center to Reopen After Equipment Upgrades to Accept Cartons, Increase Efficiency
- November 20, 2017 – Recycling Center Undergoing Upgrades to Accept Cartons, Increase Efficiency
- October 13, 2017 – Kent County Facility at Risk of Losing Critical Revenue from Sale of Electricity
- August 4, 2017 – Kent County DPW Expands Methane Collection System in Kentwood
- June 22, 2017 – Propane Tanks Cause Small Explosion at Recycling Center in Grand Rapids
- January 3, 2017 – Kent County DPW Receives Plans on Methane Gas Migration
Sustainable Business Park News
- Kent County releases RFI for Sustainable Business Park (MiBiz)
- Turning trash into money is going to take a community effort (Rapid Growth Media)
- County eyes 90 percent waste reduction (Grand Rapids Business Journal)
- West Michigan’s construction industry grapples with diverting waste from landfills (MiBiz)
- KCDPW: Sustainable Business Park at Byron Center Landfill Could Be 'Long Term Solution' (WGVU)
- Sustainable Business Park Planned in Shadow of Kent County Landfill (Reclamation Administration)
- Kent County Public Works Staff to Meet with Community About Plan to Reduce Waste (Michigan Radio)
- Sustainable Business Park Planned in Shadow of Kent County Landfill (MLive)
- GBB to Develop Master Plan for Kent County, Mich’s Resource Park
Recently Added Documents
- North Kent Landfill – Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances – FAQ
- North Kent Landfill – PFAS information – FAQ
- North Kent Landfill – PFAS Well Testing Area
- Kentwood Landfill Letter to Residents – System Operational (December 2017)
- Kentwood Landfill Methane Collection System Expansion (December 2017)
- Kentwood Landfill Letter to Residents Regarding Methane (August 2017)
- Kentwood Landfill Methane Collection System Expansion (August 2017)
- MLive Coverage: Efforts underway to capture explosive gas found seeping from Kentwood Landfill
- Director Darwin Baas explains the current status of remediation efforts at Kentwood Landfill on WKTV
- Methane and Your Health
- Kentwood Landfill Aerial Diagram
- Media Release Regarding Kentwood Landfill Methane
- Kentwood Landfill History
- Kentwood Landfill Letter to Residents Regarding Methane