Waste to Energy Facility
The WTE facility incinerates non-hazardous solid wastes from municipal and commercial operations, generating up to 16 megawatts of electricity.
Kent County DPW
P.O. Box 2504
Grand Rapids, MI 49501
950 Market Ave. SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
HoursDPW Holiday Hours
Hours of Service:
Monday-Friday: 5:00am-exactly 5:00pm
Saturday: 6:00am-exactly 12:00pm
The Kent County Waste to Energy facility is critical to Kent County’s integrated solid waste system:
- it generates electricity for 11,000 homes, about the number of residences in the City of Walker
- it’s a baseload energy source diversifying Michigan’s renewable energy portfolio
- we’ve recovered over 136,000 tons of scrap steel that would have otherwise not been recycled
- we preserved 10 years of South Kent Landfill airspace, extending the life of the landfill
- we provide good jobs for 50 employees
- it generated 96,048 KWh of electricity in 2019
Kent County’s Waste to Energy Facility is recognized by MDEQ as a Clean Corporate Citizen.
2021 Disposal Fees
Terms of payment: cash or check only.
|By Material||Rate Per Ton|
|Waste to Energy General Refuse||$56.68|
|Approved Special Burns
(requires prior authorization — contact facility below to schedule your burn)
|Note: General Refuse and Approved burn rate includes the Kent County Solid Waste Surcharge of $1.68.|
Kent County Department of Public Works reserves the right to accept or reject any waste at any of our facilities.