Waste to Energy Facility
The WTE facility incinerates non-hazardous solid wastes from municipal and commercial operations, generating up to 16 megawatts of electricity.
Kent County’s Waste to Energy Facility is one of four facilities in Kent County’s integrated solid waste management fleet. 2017 marks the 27th year of operation serving Grand Rapids, East Grand Rapids, Walker, Kentwood, Wyoming and Grandville. As of 2017, there have been five million tons of refuse processed in this facility since opening in 1990.
The Kent County Waste to Energy facility is critical to Kent County’s integrated solid waste system:
- it generates electricity for 11,000 homes, about the number of residences in the City of Walker
- it’s a baseload energy source diversifying Michigan’s renewable energy portfolio
- we’ve recovered over 124,000 tons of scrap steel that would have otherwise not been recycled
- we preserved 10 years of South Kent Landfill airspace, extending the life of the landfill
- we provide good jobs for 50 employees
- it generated 100,943,000 KWh of electricity in 2016
Kent County’s Waste to Energy Facility is recognized by MDEQ as a Clean Corporate Citizen.
After Hours Service Fee
After closing hours we refuse the admittance of any additional customers. Customers that remain on the premises and are not done dumping by our closing time, a surcharge will be added to the tipping fee. This will cover all extra manpower and equipment costs that are incurred by the Department of Public Works. This is our policy and we can make NO EXCEPTIONS. The surcharge fees are currently as follows:
Up to 15 minutes = $45
16-30 minutes = $90
31-45 minutes = $135
46-60 minutes = $180
For each additional unit time increment add $45.
2019 Disposal Fees
Terms of payment: cash, check, or credit card. Additional 3% convenience fee added when using a credit card. Visa, MasterCard, and Discover only.
|Material||Rate Per Ton|
Waste to Energy General Refuse
|Approved Special Burns||$91.68 (requires prior authorization; must be scheduled with facility staff)|
General Refuse and Approved Special Burn rate includes Environmental & Safety Fee of $0.50, Michigan Surcharge of $0.36 and Kent County Solid Waste Surcharge of $1.68.