1500 Scribner NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Monday-Friday 7:30am – 4:30pm
Phone: (616) 632-7920
Fax: (616) 632-7925
1500 Scribner NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Kent County DPW
P.O. Box 2504
Grand Rapids, MI 49501
The Department of Public Works (DPW) is an enterprise fund of Kent County established by the Board of Commissioners to provide solid waste management services to Kent County. The DPW is considered an agency of the County under the general control of the Kent County Board of Commissioners and under the immediate control of the Board of Public Works.
Implement sustainable materials management strategies to reduce dependency on landfill disposal.
Foster collaborative and innovative solutions that deliver value to our stakeholders by managing discarded materials to conserve natural resources and promote a healthy, vibrant and sustainable community.
- Employees are our most valuable resource and essential in delivering our mission.
- Visitors, customers and employees will receive prompt, courteous service that exceeds expectations.
- We will be innovative in our thinking, thoughtful in our planning and efficient in our execution.
- Community leadership, transparency and public-private partnerships drive our business decisions.
- We are committed to fostering a culture that embraces diversity, inclusion and equity. We believe that our unique differences enrich and empower the lives of all and we will work collaboratively to achieve common goals.
- We will not compromise on safety or environmental compliance.
- We consider today’s actions for tomorrow’s benefit.
Adopted by the Board of Public Works on August 6, 2015
Board of Public Works
The Kent County Department of Public Works and Board of Public Works were created by the Kent County Board of Commissioners, as authorized by Public Act 185. The Department of Public Works is considered an agency of the County under the general control of the Kent County Board of Commissioners and under the immediate control of the Board of Public Works. The Kent County Board of Commissioners appoints the 7 member Board of Public Works members, made up of 5 elected County Commissioners, the elected Drain Commissioner and a Road Commissioner.
|Emily Brieve, Chair
|Cynthia Janes, Vice Chair
(appointed by Road Commission)
Phone: (616) 914-6901
|Ken Yonker, Secretary
Kent County Drain Commissioner
(by virtue of office)
Phone: (616) 446-2280
2021 Meeting Schedule
The Board meets on the first Thursday of the month at 8:30 a.m. in the Kent County Road Commission Board Room at the Kent County Department of Public Works Administrative Office (1500 Scribner Ave. NW Grand Rapids, MI 49504) unless otherwise noted:
January 7, 2021 (via electronic communication)
February 4, 2021
March 4, 2021
April 1, 2021
May 6, 2021
June 3, 2021
August 5, 2021
September 2, 2021
October 7, 2021
November 4, 2021
December 2, 2021
Agenda & Minutes
- Develop and implement a strategy for sustainable solid waste management, processing, and recycling services
- Budget and operate without the use of Kent County General Fund support
- Participate in the economic development and planning efforts of the region
- Implement approved Solid Waste Management Plan goals and objectives that include expanded solid waste recovery prior to disposal in recycling
services and systems
- Expand South Kent Landfill capacity with initial priority on ash monofill requirements;
- Explore the most economical avenue to expand the hours of operation at the Recycling and Education Center
- Provide clean energy through the production of electricity at the Waste-to-Energy Facility and the South Kent Landfill Gas-to- Energy plant
- Install a landfill gas collection system at the Kentwood Landfill.
- Ensure availability of long-term disposal services and transfer capacity for
Kent County residents
- Operate disposal and transfer facilities in compliance with license and
- Accept and process increased curb side recycling tonnage at the Recycling
- Expand participation through a comprehensive educational and advertising program. (HHW)
- Process 26,000 tons in the new single stream recycling facility
- Accept all solid waste delivered and process solid waste for energy recovery or transfer in a cost effective and
environmentally responsible manner
- Maintain Clean Corporate Citizen certification