Administrative Offices & SafeChem Center
Coming this Fall 2021!
“I own and operate a local dumpster rental company On Time Dumpsters. Reducing waste and maximizing material recovery and recycling is important to my company.”
Questions about either the street vacation process or construction can be directed to Kristen Wieland at 616-632-7923 or Kristen.Wieland@KentCountyMI.gov.
The Kent County Department of Public Works Administrative Office & SafeChem Center facility would provide:
- administrative space for staff on a contiguous campus next door to Kent County Recycling Center
- drop-off center for household hazardous waste from residents that live, work, or play in Kent County
- a new space and way to distribute new or like-new hazardous waste products, including wood stain, varnishes, window and surface cleaners, motor oil, car cleaners, lawn fertilizer, laundry detergent and pool and spa chemicals.
- the reuse facility would cut costs of SafeChem program by about 20% while providing supplies for people who may have to choose between essentials like food and utilities or DIY materials and cleaners.
The $4 million project will be paid for entirely through the Kent County DPW’s capital improvement fund, which is generated by fees charged at the landfill, recycling and mixed energy facilities. While construction at the site continues, we have provided resources on how to continue recycling during this temporary closure of the Wealthy St. Drop-Off Station.
2020-2021 Planning Timeline
- November 2020 Informational JBAN-SWAN Neighborhood Presentation
- February 2021 Informational letter mailed to nearby residents
- April 2021 Legal letter mailed to residents within 300’ of Marion Avenue street vacation process
- April 2021 Demolition of existing structures
- April 2021 Second informational letter mailed to residents within 300’ of Marion Avenue street vacation process
- May – November 2021 Construction
- November 2021 Opening of Administrative Offices and SafeChem Center