Use Kent County’s SafeChem household hazardous waste program to safely dispose of left-over chemicals.
What does it mean to be Hazardous?
- Toxic – poisonous or lethal when ingested, touched or inhaled;
- Flammable – ignitable and burns easily;
- Corrosive – eats through materials & living tissue; or
- Reactive – can possibly explode or react with other chemicals.
Why take your items to the household hazardous waste program?
- Most landfills are not equipped to handle hazardous materials;
- Chemicals thrown in regular trash can cause fires endangering sanitation workers; and
- Oil, gas and other chemicals will cause pollution when dumped down the drain.
What happens to the materials we collect?
Saturday Collection Schedule
- April 21, 8 AM – 2 PM, Wyoming: Grand Rapids First Church, 2100 44th St SW
- May 5, 8 AM – 2 PM, Kentwood: Kentwood DPW, 5068 Breton Rd SE
- Aug. 11, 8 AM – 12 PM, Rockford: North Kent Recycling & Waste Center, 2908 Ten Mile Rd
- Sept. 29, 9 AM – 2 PM, Lowell: Kent County Fairgrounds, 225 S Hudson Dr
- Oct. 27, 8 AM – 2 PM, Ada/Cascade: Central Middle School, 5810 Ada Dr SE
Drop-off and Collection Days
Stop by one of our four convenient disposal sites on the days/times listed below for each location. No appointments necessary! We also have periodic Saturday Collections for those who can’t come during the week. Hazardous waste should be from homes, not businesses, farms or schools. Have a large amount that you want to bring? No problem! Just send us a quick email or give us a call to make sure we know you’re coming and we have enough equipment to take all of your hazardous waste.
Drop-off Hours & Locations
5068 Breton SE, Kentwood, MI 49508
November-March, Tuesdays: 2:30pm-4:30pm
April-October, Tuesdays: 1:30pm-5:30pm
2908 Ten Mile, Rockford, MI 49341
November-March, Fridays: 8:30am-10:30am
April-October, Fridays: 8:30am-11:30am
AUGUST 31st: THIS SITE IS CLOSED FOR MAINTENANCE.
1500 Scribner Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504
November-March, Wednesdays: 8:00am-10:00am
April-October, Wednesdays: 7:30am-11:30am
2350 Ivanrest Ave SW, Grandville, MI 49418
Kentwood Public Works Facility
Kent County DPW Administrative Offices
North Kent Recycle & Waste Center
Wyoming Clean Water Plant
Collection Center ClosingsKent County makes every effort to make the hazardous waste centers available on the scheduled days and times. There are times that weather, training or other events force us to shut down, sometimes unexpectedly. Kent County reserves the right to close the hazardous waste collection centers due to severe weather including wind chill, heat advisory and lightning; staff training; or other reasons at their discretion. If the local school district is closed due to a weather emergency, the hazardous waste center in that district is also closed.
Closures will be posted on this website and on the automated phone system at 616-632-7920.